Directed and written by Fraçois Ozon
A high school French teacher is drawn into a precocious student's increasingly transgressive story about his relationship with a friend's family.
- GERMAIN - (hero)
- JEANNE - (ally)
- CLAUDE - (mentor, ally, enemy)
- RAFA - (enemy)
Milestones (FIRST ACT):
- Ordinary World: Germain is a french teacher disappointed by his students.
- Call for Adventure: A odd assignment written by one of the students stands out. The student, Claude, describes the inside of a rich classmate's house.
Milestones (SECOND ACT):
- Crossing the Threshold: Germain gets excited with the assignments Claude writes but his wife Jeanne advices him to do something about it.
- Set of Trial: Germain gives Claude private lectures and follows his writings.
- Making Enemy: In the story Claude writes the mother of Rafa dislikes his visits.
- Set of Trial: Germain steals the math exam to make sure Rafa will pass and therefore Claude will be able to keep writing. Claude gets inside the house when he knows that Rafa and his father is out. So he would be alone with Rafa's mother.The other day the manages to enter the place when no one is there. Suddenly Rafa's parents arrive.
- Crossing the Second Threshold: Germain decides to correct Rafa's writing and he fells naked in front of the class. Claude writes for him a text and helps him publish at the school newspaper calling attention for Germain's way of teaching.
- Set of Trial: Jeanne's gallery opening night. She invites Rafa's parents. Germain is more interested on the parents than on his own wife. Claude is invited to sleep in Rafa's house because of the storm. Rafa kisses him and storms out. He changes the story to imaging Rafa's parents having sex.
- Making Enemy: Later he changes the story to follow what makes him excited. Kissing Rafa's mother in front of Rafa. Germain tries to stop him saying it is bad taste but he keeps writing what he wants. Rafa kills himself in his story. Germain falls for that, Rafa is just sick. Germain asks Claude to stop writing and says he won't read it anymore.
Milestones (THIRD ACT):
- Approaching the Inmost Cave: Germain picks one of the Claude's stories out of the trash bin and secretly read it. He sees Claude is looking for an ending. Claude asks Rafa's mother to run away with him but she refuses.
- Resurrection with Elixir: Later he goes to Jeanne instead of going to class and instigates Germain to believe he went to bed with her. Germain loses his job when Rafa reveals about the stolen math exam.
- Freedom to Live: Claude and Germain end up together on a park bench imagining and planing other stories.