Directed by Steven Spielberg
Written by Robert Rodat
Following the Normandy Landings, a group of U.S. soldiers go behind enemy lines to retrieve a paratrooper whose brothers have been killed in action.
- CAP. MILLER - (hero, mentor)
- UPHAM - (ally, hero)
Milestones (FIRST ACT):
- Ordinary World: USA is in Europe fighting Germany during WWII.
- Call to Adventure (00:30:00): Three Ryan brothers are killed at war. The American Army decides to rescue the last brother alive, private Ryan, and take him out of war, back to his mother.
- Crossing the Threshold (00:37:00): Cap. Miller receives superior orders to rescue Ryan. He starts planing the rescue.
- Making Ally (00:40:00): Cap. Miller picks Upham to the mission since he speaks German and French.
Milestones (SECOND ACT):
- Set of Trials (00:46:00): The squad of Cap. Miller finds a shooting against Germans on the way. One of his soldiers is killed in combat.
- Making Ally (01:00:00): The squad find a few soldiers in the next town that may help them find Ryan. They stay overnight at the camp.
- Belly of the Whale (01:05:00): They grieve the death of their friend.
- Set of Trials (01:16:00): The soldiers look into a bag of tags looking for Ryan's name. They hope he is already dead so the mission would be over. His name is not there but they get some information about where he could be.
- Set of Trials (01:25:00): They move forward and get into another shooting against the Germans. One of the men gets shot and dies. The German who killed him surrenders so he is taken as prisoner. However most of the squad wanted him dead and two of the men argue against one another. Cap. Miller tells them his real feelings about the mission. It gathers his squad back together.
- Crossing the Second Threshold (01:45:00): Forward they find Private Ryan who refuses to go back home before he accomplish his own mission.
- Set of Trials (01:50:00): Cap. Miller decides to stay with Ryan and use his squad as reinforcement. He has some creative ideas.
- Approaching The Inmost Cave (02:05:00): Cap. Miller and Ryan talk about the past and go deep in their feelings.The ultimate fight with the German happen and the squad must protect the bridge.
- The Ultimate Boon (02:10:00): The small squad struggles to defeat the Germans and their tanks. Upham's fear stops him from helping a friend that is killed by a German soldier.
- Resurrection with Elixir (02:20:00): Cap. Miller can't clearly see or hear. Everywhere he looks he sees one of his soldiers getting shot or killed. Suddenly an American airplane appears and drops bomb on the German army. Upham gets courage and shots the Germans.
Milestones (THIRD ACT):
- Freedom to Live (02:35:00): Cap. Miller dies in the battlefield. Ryan gets home alive. He and his family visit the grave of Cap. Miller.
Final Feedback: The hero role changes from Cap. Miller to Ryan by the ending of the film.