Written and Directed by Damien Chazelle
Best Film (jury award) - Sundance Film Festival 2014
Andrew dreams of being a great drummer. He is invited to be part of his conservatory band and have the cruel Fletcher as coach who has the power to turn his life for good or bad.
- ANDREW - (hero)
- FLETCHER (mentor/villain)
- NICOLE (goddess)
- JIM - andrew's father (ally)
- Ryan and Carl (villains)
Milestones (FIRST ACT):
- Ordinary World: Andrew goes to the prestigious conservatory of Schaffer School. He is a regular drum student with a lot of potential and ambitious. He practices hard and has no friends.
- Meeting the Goddess: Andrew is shy but has a crush for the movie's counter girl, Nicole.
- Making Allies: Andrew goes to the movies and have dinner with his father who supports Andrew's dream to become a great drum player.
- Meeting the Mentor/Call to Adventure: Andrew and Fletcher meet each other alone in the practice room in the first scene of the movie. Later Fletcher enters his classroom to test and pick students for his band. Andrew is chosen.
Milestones (SECOND ACT):
- Crossing the First Threshold: Andrew wakes up late for his first band practice. He runs and finds the room empty. The practice starts only 3 hours later than the time Fletcher told him about.
- Set of Trials: Andrew starts to practice really hard in order to be call the attention of Flectcher again.
- Making Enemies: The playlist tabs are given to Andrew by Carl during the break of the band's concert. Andrew loses it and Carl is punished by Fletcher. Andrew got his chance to play and he does it perfectly. Since then he is bad seen by the other members of the band, mainly by Carl.
- Making Enemies: On the next day Fletcher brings Ryan to the band. Ryan is an old foe of Andrews in class.
- Making Enemies: Andrew breaks up with Nicole because he doesn't want to fall in love with her and get distracted away from music and his goal.
- Set of Trials: Andrew practices more than ever and Fletcher tests him, Carl and Ryan to decide who would be the core player. After hours of testing Andrew is picked.
- Temptation: The concert day has come, Andrew is late because of his bus' flat tire. He rents a car but leaves his drumsticks in the store. He goes back and on the way to the concert he is hit by a truck. He arrives on the stage covered by blood and isn't able to play the whole song. Fletcher fires him. Andrew jumps on Fletcher and they fight.
- Crossing the Second Threshold: Andrew's father bring a lawyer to talk with Andrew and convince him to sue Fletcher. He doesn't want to do it but he is convinced to.
- Belly of the Whale: Andrew gets blue since he doesn't attend Schaffer anymore. He hangs out with his father in New York, he got a mediocre job and never played drums again.
- The Inmost Cave: Andrew meets Fletcher in a jazz bar. Fletcher lost his job at Schaffer and runs a band that will open the JVC festival in New York. Andrew is invited to play.
- Love in the Underworld (not): Andrew calls Nicole back but now she has a new boyfriend.
- Resurrection: Andrew takes his drums out of closet and practice the songs again.
- The Ultimate Boon: The band starts playing but Fletcher lied about the playlist to Andrew. Andrew plays badly the first song since he doesn't have the tabs. Fletcher confesses his plan and that he knew it was Andrew fault. Andrew leaves the concert meets his father and goes back on stage. This time Andrew starts playing before Fletcher announces the new song. Nobody in the band knows what to to do then Andrew key they in. Fletcher loses the control of his own band to Andrew. They work together.
Milestones (THIRD ACT):
Final Feedback: I believe the film stops at its climax, the Ultimate Boon and I don't feel 100% comfort with the role of Nicole as Goddess. I also couldn't find a Atonement with the Father situation.